Here is a list of resources that I’m finding useful in helping me learn Italian:
- https://www.duolingo.com/ – A free language learning app for iOS & Android (you can also do lessons online). It’s a great way to get started if you are a complete beginner & covers many popular languages with more constantly in the works.
- http://cherhale.com – a lot of very encouraging posts and useful resources for Italian learners
- http://italian.about.com/ – I’m pretty sure I used to be suspicious of about.com – I *think* it used to carry those ‘one weird trick’ ads. However these days it’s full of great Italian content and it’s had a shiny overhaul to bring the looks up to date!
- http://blogs.transparent.com/italian/ – The perfect mix of language and culture. They have a language learning product but don’t give it the hard sell.
- http://www.italian-verbs.com/verbi-italiani/verbi-italiani-top.php – Don’t let the old-school web design put you off, this is an excellent reference for conjugating verbs. I was a little scared on first using it to discover the existence of several new tenses I was previously unaware of!
- http://ase.tufts.edu/biomedical/unolab/sayings.html – A pretty extensive list of idioms. Some familiar in English, some a little strange!
- http://blog.studentsville.it/top-10-tips/everyday-life/10-italian-slang-expressions-you-cant-live-without/ – A few more fun phrases!
- http://www.fluentin3months.com/ – An excellent site full of general language learning resources and encouragement as well a few language-centric posts. Benny’s book* is highly recommended too!
I’m positive there’s more. Certainly if you’re a Twitter user you should follow the above people. I’ll update this when I can remember the other resources and as I find new ones.
* Yeah that’s an affiliate link. If you buy the book through that link I’ll get a few pence. All the other links are just normal. Click away!